Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Contrasts



As we speak, I am sitting in a hotel lobby in Elbasan, Albania. For a long time, the Peace Corps seemed like a nice idea that only actually existed on paper. It became very real today. I would love to do a big post about staging and traveling and the first afternoon in Albania, but that would take a long time and I really want to sleep right now. So here's a list of random early thoughts. They may or may not be coherent, but I figured it would be better than total silence:

-My fellow peace corps volunteers are excellent. I will dearly miss everyone at home, but you have good substitutes for the time being.

-The luggage for 50 pc volunteers will not fit on a regional jet. That's why just about every single one of us is missing a bag (or two, in some cases) at the moment.

-I haven't seen a single traffic signal or stop sign.

-There hasn't been much land use planning in Albania. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. Either way, the lack of design and space regulation has created a world of variety that the American in me is not accustomed to seeing. The planner in me is so very confused.

-Half the cars on the road are Mercedes. Almost literally.

-The mountains are stunning. I can't wait to get more than a glance at the beaches.

-The majority of houses have a full garden and a vineyard or orchard of some sort in their front yard. They usually don't have back yards.

-People build something until they run out of money, and then stop until they get the funds to carry on. The number of half-completed buildings in this country is surprising and, again, totally foreign to the American in me.

-Summer produce promises to be excellent.

More later. Right now, I'm going to take a shower and go to bed. It will be excellent.

2 comments:

  1. Dude, this is awesome. I think your life is going to make mine seem really, really uneventful for the next two years. Also, thanks for taking pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome photo. Great observations. What an amazing adventure you're about to have.

    ReplyDelete