Sunday, April 11, 2010

Fill the belly

Not too many new things to report this week. We didn't return home from the volunteer visits until Tuesday, so the rest of the week itself went by in a flash. In other news, I got to lay around in bed like a bum this morning for the first time in three weeks. It was fantastic.

For lack of other excitement, I thought that this would be a good time to talk about food. Albania, as you may have noticed, is hanging out in a neighborhood with countries that boast very tasty cuisines. Italy. Greece. Turkey. Lebanon. As such, I was expecting dishes that were bursting with new and exciting flavors.

That, actually, couldn't be further from the truth. I should point out immediately that I haven't had anything that I would classify as "bad." It is all good, but is good in the same sense that Campbell's Chunky Soup is good. Pleasant. Filling. Not exciting. Quite simply, they just don't use seasonings here. Some end up on their meat roasts, but the cooking tools of choice here seem to be oil and salt. And bread. Lots and lots of bread.

It certainly isn't all boring. Some highlights: more fresh citrus than you could ever ask for. Fig Jelly (does this exist in the states? If so, why did nobody tell me about it? It is wonderful). Fantastic seafood on the coast. And really good hot chocolate in all the cafes.

Back to the original topic, however. Several people asked me what they should send in care packages while I'm over here. If you are ever in a quandry, just send some seasonings. Coriander. Cumin. Curry. Taco Seasoning. Any of the italian herbs. Really, just surprise me.

Final news of note: we find out our official site placements on Friday! So much rides on this news- where I'll be living. What work I'll be doing. Who my peace corps site partners (if any) will be. To say the least, I am eagerly awaiting Friday afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment